On September 3rd, an 11 year-old boy was at home with his 4 year-old sister when he was faced with a situation no child should have to face, but is becoming more common in today’s world.
The information concerning the case seems consistent so far:
- Two people attempted to forcibly enter the home.
- The 11 year-old was home with his four year-old sister.
- The 11 year-old had access to a handgun.
- The handgun was reportedly purchased as protection for the family.
- On the third attempt, entry was made by one of the two home invaders.
- One shot was fired, striking the invader in the head, and ending the threat.
- The second invader ran and was caught a short time later.
- There is one slightly different account. A neighbor said she saw the perpetrator and victim arguing and the perpetrator “never entered the house.”
- The invader was located inside the home upon police arrival.
From the reports, it appears some preliminary analysis can be conducted.
- The invader was given opportunities to leave and did not.
- The invaders did not appear to be welcome.
- The invader gained access.
- Police did not arrive until well after the situation had ended.
- The neighbor, although witnessing what she said was an “argument,” did not call the police.
- Police were not called until after the shot was fired.
- The victim had control of the handgun.
- The outcome of the invasion would have been different if the victim was not armed. Precisely how it could have ended is obviously unknown, but a threat to the 11 year-old and his four year-old sister would have continued.
- Some reports are focusing on the fact the kids were home without supervision, although there is no legal guidance requiring a babysitter be of a particular age. The maturity of the babysitter is the main consideration. http://www.plea.org/legal_resources/?a=169
The basic premise of this event is that invaders attempted to forcibly enter a home, police did not arrive until after the threat ended, witnesses did not call police about the incident until afterwards, and a handgun was a force multiplier used to stop the threat.